If your company is hosting a big event in Texas, you may be concerned with getting the right venue, food, or entertainment. But with such a large crowd, you might have another problem on your hands if you fail to consider the bathroom situation. This is where a well-placed porta potty rental can make or break your evening.
Even the best parties and corporate gatherings can go downhill quickly without an adequate number of portable toilets for guests to use. We’ve all had to wait in a long bathroom line at one point or another and know how frustrating it can be. With a little preparation, you can host a memorable event by facilitating an unmemorable bathroom situation.
In this article, we’ll explain why a porta potty is a good idea and how to fit them seamlessly into your next outdoor event.
When to Rent a Porta Potty
It’s wise to rent porta potties whenever you are hosting a significant event that takes place outdoors (or partially outdoors). This is especially true if there are not adequate indoor restroom options nearby. You may also use them if you are hosting an event where you wish to keep indoor traffic to a minimum. Common events where people rent portable restrooms include:
- Corporate events.
- Outdoor craft markets/farmer’s markets/trade shows.
- Food festivals.
- Fairs and carnivals.
- Sporting events and tournaments.
These portable toilets aren’t only for large crowds. Some people decide to rent in cases of home renovations or construction so that workers have a place to go without tracking debris through the house.
Providing enough porcelain thrones – or in this case, plastic thrones – for your guests is one of the easiest ways you can earn the status of an excellent host. Though they have a somewhat negative reputation, porta-potties help keep your event clean.
Types of Porta Potties
You’re probably familiar with the standard porta potty. Still, there are several different types, as well as additional features that you can add on.
- Standard. Most of us have been in one of these. They’re no-frills, but can be rented in large quantities relatively inexpensively.
- Flushable. These are a step above the standard make and act like flushing toilets. These may also come with other add-ons like a sink or hand sanitizer dispenser.
- ADA Compliant. These offer more space for individuals using wheelchairs and other assistive devices.
- Construction and Towable. Porta-potties designed for construction sites have unique features like rollers or a crane hook that allow the unit to be moved and transported easily. Similarly, towable models come mounted on a trailer, which gives you the freedom to take it wherever you go.
- Eco-Friendly. These utilize select chemicals that aren’t harmful to the environment and help reduce waste.
- Bathroom Trailers. These are top of the line. You’ll find flushable toilets, running water, air conditioning, and lighting in these. Think of it as an actual indoor bathroom on wheels.
Extra features that many rental companies include handwashing stations, hand sanitizer dispensers, mirrors, baby changing stations, and more.
How Many Porta Potties Does Your Event Need?
It’s important to calculate the number of restrooms you’ll need. Event experts recommend that you have one unit for every 50 people and one hand washing station for every four potties.
It’s also essential to include a least one ADA compliant restroom for any event that is open to the public. If you have a larger event, rent one ADA compliant unit for every 20 standard potties.
If you serve alcohol at the event, you’ll want to increase the number of rentals by 10-15%, as alcohol will increase the number of bathroom trips.
Porta Potty Rental Costs
A porta potty rental in Austin will depend on several factors:
- The number of toilets.
- Duration of rental.
- Type of toilet rented.
- The number of required cleanings during your rental period.
- The distance of the delivery.
On average, a standard porta potty can be rented for around $150.00-$200.00 for a weekend. High-quality flushable models can be upwards of $450.
If you have the porta potty rental for an extended period, they’ll need to be cleaned. To do this, the rental company will bring a cleaning truck to suck out the contents with a vacuum hose. They’ll also refill the chemicals that keep odor to a minimum, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and any other products that need replenishing. There is usually a cleaning cost for each visit that is made.
Prepping the Area
It’s important to plan out where your porta potty will sit at the event. You’ll want to take measurements of all the areas you wish to place them, as they could take up more room than you are envisioning in your mind. Find solid ground that’s out of the way from major crowd movement.
Here are some practical tips to ensure that your rental goes off without a hitch.
- If possible, DON’T locate it upwind of the crowd, for obvious reasons.
- DON’T set the porta-potty on uneven or soft ground. This could cause sinking or tipping.
- DON’T put a porta-potty in high-traffic areas. It’s best to stick to the sides of the event.
- DO place them in multiple locations, giving guests easy access no matter where they are.
- DO make sure that the delivery and cleaning vehicles will have access to them.
- DO keep the porta potties in secured, well-lit areas to prevent damage, theft, or the potty tipping prankster
A portable toilet rental is one of the best things you can put money towards for an event with a crowd of people. No one wants to be sitting around, crossing their legs, and trying to hold it in. They’ll help keep your location clean, your movement organized, and your guests happy.
Need More Space for Your Business?
Schedule a call with Amplify Credit Union’s lending team today.